Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Is it a sign?

soooo... I arrived alive!! and i actually really enjoyed it - yes, I was a happy camper!! Ok, i was pretty useless with the practical things, I just sat and observed Mandy Moo most of the time while she rushed around making me tea and washing the dishes - ha ha, love u my friend. I have a whole camping essay written out, so I will post it another day this week along with the PHOTO'S - its quite a funny story, so look forward to it :) The weekend cost us close on 4 grand... wait for the Happy Camper post to find out why............

Back to todays post: Is it a sign?

In the last week, I have been bombarded with signs to go back to my Doula work. Firstly, I received a phonecall from one of the local antenatal teachers, asking me to be a Doula for her son and his wife - nerve wrecking but exciting! She is due in April, so I dont have long to polish up on my skills :) Then, the very next day I received another phonecall from a lady in Cape-Town who asked if she could arrange an interview with me. Later that day I received an invitation to the midwifery symposium being held later on in the year. Then I totally remembered I have a semi-website that needs to be finished, so I have sent that off to be completed. When I hit Send/Receive to send my website stuff, I received the first BIRTHWORKS newsletter! The opening paragraph is calling out for training midwives - my dream.... I need to finish my Matric then I begin studying - yay - Kerry has a goal! Then last night I decided to get 'Doula-Organized' and the first piece of paper I picked up had the article 'Normal Birth' written on it. It describes Natural birth in the most beautiful way, I will post it here for those who wish to read it. It may not be your thing if you're a guy - but hey, get mushy and READ IT ANY WAYS :) Oh, and to top it all off, while I was busy sorting out doula admin, fellow doula, my birth inspiration, and fabulous friend Lana smsed me to say how much she is loving my blog - miss you my friend, will meet up for definite this week :)

Wow, i didnt realize how much I missed being involved in the whole birth process, its hard work, exhausting and it does take a lot of 'family life organizing' but the rewards far outweigh the little hurdles. hmmmmm - im thinking all these things are a sign - what say you?

Ok, here's the article I found on normal birth, I'm sure all moms, doula's and midwives can relate to it, we have all been there - and felt the 'holiness in the air' as you will read below :) Also I found a poem to our precious babies that I heard at a friends baby shower recently, its posted below the Normal Birth article, BUT you have to read it out loud to get the full effect - get the tissues ready! ;)

What is Normal Birth?

The question is disarmingly simple, like asking What is Love? I open my mouth to answer quickly, then close it again, suddenly humbled by the realisation that the answer is complex, emotional, elusive, rich, deep and varied.

Images flash in my mind - I see beautiful wet babies in their mothers arms. I smell the birth smell and feel the holiness that hangs in the air and feel the wonder tht rises in the wise and ancient process that is beyond human design or control.

Normal birth is the mother who stands up beside her bed where she has given birth, faces me with her babe in her arms, her eyes flashing fire and triumphantly shouts - "I did it!" Normal birth is the woman who dances the slow birth dance and sings the low birth song. It is the woman who is naked and not ashamed.

Normal birth is the woman who though she has never been there before and did not know the way, finds her path to that deep and quiet place within herself where her intuition and faith lie hidden and ready to feed her soul.

Normal birth is the woman who births in her own power, dignity, beauty, grace and strength. It is the mother and this never seen before baby, working it out together for the first time.

Normal birth is what I trust this mother can do. It is what I believe in, cherish and humbly protect. It is the gift we give the mothers we serve and the gift they give their precious babies. It is the real life miracle I witness again and again with an ever-growing sense of priviledge and joy.

-Louise Wilson - Traditional Midwife - Penn, USA

Poem to our precious babes - A MOTHERS HEART

I loved you from the very start,You stole my breath, embraced my heart.

Our life together has just begun, You're part of me my little one.

As mother with child, each day I grew, My mind was filled with thoughts of you.

I'd daydream of the things we'd share, Like late-night bottles and Teddy bears.

Like first steps and skinned knees, Like bedtime stories and ABC's.

I thought of things you'd want to know, Like how birds fly and flowers grow.

I thought of lessons I'd need to share, Like standing tall and playing fair.


When I first saw your precious face, I prayed your life be touched with grace.

I thanked the angels from above, And promised you unending love.

Each night I lay you down to sleep, I gently kiss your head and cheek.

I count your little fingers and toes; I memorize your eyes and nose.

I linger at your nursery door, Awed each day I love you more.

Through misty eyes, I dim the light, I whisper, "I love you" every night.


I loved you from the very start, You stole my breath, embraced my heart.

As mother and child our journeys begin, My heart's yours forever little one.


Ok, stop crying Kerri-Anne Bunch....

Have a fabby day,
Lovies
Kez xxxxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know me too damn well my friend. That is totally gorgeous. Makes me feel shit for shouting at him at 2am this morning when he wanted to play! No more.....